Car accidents are frightening, and their unexpected nature makes them incredibly stressful. Going about your day and suddenly hearing the screeching of tires, glass breaking, and feeling the impact of another car is certainly a nerve-wracking experience.
Car accidents are unfortunately all too common, and at Hall & Sethi, PLC, we have the knowledge and experience to represent you in a personal injury case due to a car accident. While car accidents can leave you shaken, it is crucial you follow a few specific guidelines so as to prevent any confusion and secure yourself.
The following tips will be essential to you after a car accident:
- Stay calm – Leaving the scene of the accident not only makes you look completely guilty, it can also result in real consequences such as having your driving privileges revoked and your license suspended. Be aware of any other potential dangers, such as a fire, and make sure to respond accordingly.
- Move to a safe place – Pulling to the side of the road so as to keep other drivers out of danger is essential after an accident.
- Provide assistance – If anyone else has been injured, it is vital you move them out of harm’s way and call an ambulance immediately. Notifying 911 of the situation, especially if there are any fatalities, injuries, or severe damages, is mandatory.
- Take pictures – Documenting the accident is incredibly important, and photographic evidence can help both parties in the long run.
- Speak to witnesses – Witness accounts may be able to clear up any confusion.
- Get the right information – Perhaps the most crucial part of all is getting and giving the required information. According to Virginia law, you are required to provide certain information to the other parties involved. You will be required to give and get the names, addresses, contact details, driver license numbers, license plate numbers, and auto insurance information of all involved.
Some people may wonder what happens if you hit an unattended car–the procedure remains the same. Taking care to leave your information on a note if you are unable to locate the owner of the car is mandatory as well. The truth of the matter is, accidents happen. Whether or not it was your fault, being courteous and following Virginia law are expected of all drivers on the road.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident and are now in need of a personal injuryattorney to represent you, look no further than Hall & Sethi, PLC. We are a reliable and experienced team of professionals who will always rise to the occasion and seek justice on your behalf.
To speak to a representative, call us today at 703.991.1949.